Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Be Patient! God Isn’t Finished With Me Yet!


As a young Christian I collected stickers, and there is one that was very special to me. There was this butterfly that was waiting on a caterpillar to change, so that they could fly away together. The caterpillar said to the butterfly, “Be patient! God isn’t finished with me yet!” Of course, those familiar with metamorphosis know that the caterpillar goes through changes to become a butterfly. Yes, those beautiful butterflies that we admire so much were once gross looking caterpillars, but over time they undergo a transformation. Such change takes time and requires patience.

Like the caterpillar, we too experience changes in our lives before we can become what we want to be. However, not many of our acquaintances give us a chance for these changes to take place. They only see the flaws and imperfections, and believe that is the sum total of all that we can be. Many people can only see us as we are now, not what we can become. They do not understand that the process of developing into our full potential is yet to come. They do not realize that God is still working out His purpose in our lives and that with time we can become what He wants us to.

Unfortunately, sometimes some of us join them in their beliefs and think that we cannot become anything of worth or value in society. There are times when we are the ones who have given up on ourselves, thinking that we cannot move beyond our present status in life. We need to realize that God has not given up on us, but is working His purpose out in our lives; we just need to be patient. The next time you feel like giving up because you have not realized your dreams as you had hoped, or others think you are a failure, remember God isn’t finished with you yet; just be patient.

This song sums it up.
CHORUS:
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

1. There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

CHORUS:

2. In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.